This is an excerpt from the article “Yard and Garden Safety.” For more information, please visit www.preparemetroke.org.
Trim N’Edge Trimmer
- Remove debris from work area.
- Keep people and pets at least 50 feet away when operating equipment.
- When using the trimmer as a lawn edger, wear safety protection. Do not use an edger on graveled surfaces.
- If the edger strikes a foreign object, stop operation, disconnect the spark plug wire, and inspect the unit for damage.
- Wear protective clothing with eye and ear protection.
- Do not operate if fatigued, on medications, using alcohol or drugs, or ill.
- Keep firm footing and balance; don’t overreach; be sure lighting conditions are adequate; keep your body away from the rotating string head and hot surfaces. Be sure to keep the string head below waist level.
- Use trimmer only for weeds and grass.
- Inspect your trimmer for loose fasteners, fuel leaks, and a cracked or chipped string head.
- Never start or run an engine inside a closed area; exhaust fumes can kill.
- Remove the spark plug before any repairs.
For two-cycle engines, follow fueling and premixing instructions carefully. Wipe up any fuel spillage quickly to prevent fire.