Share these winter tips with employees Talk to employees about things they can do to avoid slips and falls this winter.
- High heels should not be worn outdoors during winter weather. Flat shoes with slip resistant soles or boots are best.
- When walking across ice or snow, be sure to take short, flat steps.
- Walk. Don’t run. Slowing down will decrease the chances of a slip and fall.
- When entering a building, remember to clean your footwear thoroughly on the floor mats or carpet.
- Once inside a building, don’t walk too fast and avoid making sharp changes in directions.
- Report unsafe areas and unsalted parking lots and sidewalks to the appropriate personnel immediately.
- When getting in and out of vehicles use the vehicle for support.
- Walk in designated walkways as much as possible. Taking shortcuts over snow piles and other frozen areas can be dangerous.
- Look ahead when you walk; a snow- or ice-covered sidewalk may require travel along its grassy edge for traction.