- Install UL Listed smoke detectors and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms outside every sleeping area and near fuel-burning appliances.
- Install fresh batteries in smoke detectors and CO alarms at least once a year.
- Develop and practice a fire escape plan for your household. Every family member should know at least two ways out of each room.
- Test smoke detectors and CO alarms regularly and clean them as indicated in the use and care booklet. Hard-wired units, defined as those permanently wired into a home’s electrical system, should be tested monthly. Battery-operated units should be tested weekly.
- Make sure the area around the bed is clear of items that could cause tripping, including electrical and telephone cords, rugs, and runners.
|The above is an excerpt from the article, “Older adult safety tips by room.” For more information, please visit www.ul.com.|