|The following is an excerpt taken from the article, “Energy Efficiency for Retail Stores.” For more information please visit www.sba.gov.|
Make strong energy performance your competitive advantage.
- Retail companies spend nearly $20 billion on energy each year
- A 10 percent reduction in energy costs for the average full-line discount retailer can boost net profit margins by as much as 1.55 percent and sales per square foot by $25.
- A 10 percent reduction in energy costs for the average limited service restaurant can boost net profit margins by as much as 4 percent and sales per square foot by $17.
- A 10 percent reduction in energy costs for the average supermarket can boost net profit margins by as much as 16 percent and sales per square foot by $44.
What You Can Do
- Join ENERGY STAR.
- Evaluate your retail building’s energy performance with Portfolio Manager or learn about Service Providers that Offer Automatic Benchmarking.
- Establish a comprehensive energy management program using the Guidelines for Energy Management.
- Learn to manage your energy more effectively with Online Training Sessions.
- Purchase ENERGY STAR qualified products to save energy throughout your building.
- Communicate your energy management efforts to customers, shareholders, and peers.
- Prepare an Energy Strategy for the Future
- Find more resources through National Retail Associations.
What Others Are Doing
- ENERGY STAR Retail Partners
- ENERGY STAR Labeled Retail Buildings
- ENERGY STAR Labeled Supermarkets and Grocery Stores
- What Partners are Saying
ENERGY STAR Success Stories
- Food Lion – An ENERGY STAR award winner five years in a row, is committing to energy management company-wide and seeing real financial results – nearly $105 million in savings over the years.
- Giant Eagle – A three-time ENERGY STAR partner of the year, developed an Energy Management Plan to guide its energy strategies to improve energy performance year after year.
- Building Technologies Program : Retail Buildings
Learn about energy saving upgrades you can make to your retail building.
- Energy Design Resources’ Building Types: Retail Stores
Tools and resources to help you make energy efficient improvements to your retail store.
- Flex Your Power’s Small Retailers and Offices
Read about how to cut your electricity costs permanently through energy efficiency improvements.
- EPA’s Retail Industry Portal
Find out about sustainability opportunities to help business in the retail industry go beyond regulations to protect the environment.